
31 Jul ERIK BAZINYAN VS. JAIME MUNGUIA ON SEPTEMBER 20 IN ARIZONA
Montreal, Wednesday, July 31, 2024 — Erik Bazinyan has worked his whole life to get the chance to shine on the world stage, and that moment will finally arrive at the Desert Diamond Arena, in Glendale, Arizona, where he will face former world champion Jaime Munguia in 12-round super middleweight showdown on September 20. The event, presented by Top Rank, will also be broadcast worldwide via the ESPN network.
“The timing is perfect to shock the world. My entire career, I’ve worked for this precise moment and when it finally arrives, on September 20, I am convinced I have everything it takes to defeat Jaime Munguia,” said Eye of the Tiger protégé Erik Bazinyan.
Boxing professionally since he was 18, Erik Bazinyan (32-0-1, 23 KOs) is now more ready than ever at 29 years old. In recent years, the Laval native has climbed the ranks of the world standings one by one, notably by winning and defending the NABF super-middleweight title seven times. Along the way, he has defeated world title contenders Marcelo Coceres and Alantez Fox, as well as delivering a spectacular knockout to American Ronald Ellis. Currently ranked 2nd by the WBO, 4th by the WBA, 6th by the WBC, and 8th by the IBF, the time has come to move to the next level.
“The opportunity is huge for Erik Bazinyan and we already feel his enthusiasm and fervor in his training camp. Erik will do everything to deliver an unprecedented battle to Jaime Munguia,” added EOTTM President Camille Estephan.
In the opposite corner, Jaime Munguia (43-1, 34 KOs) will try to get back on the winning track against the Quebecer of Armenian origin. Last May, the 27-year-old Mexican lost by unanimous decision to the undisputed 168 lb champion, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. Until then, Munguia’s journey had been flawless. In the professional ranks since he was 16, the pride of Tijuana became the WBO 154 lb world champion at just 21. He then defended his title five times, notably against Liam Smith and Brandon Cook, before moving up to 160 lb and eventually 168 lb. In the super-middleweight category, he won the 2023 Fight of the Year against none other than Sergiy Derevyanchenko and then earned his shot at ‘Canelo’ by sending former interim world champion John Ryder into retirement last January. Now coming back from the Canelo fight, Munguia is still ranked in all the top 10s; 2nd WBC, 5th WBO, 7th WBA, and 7th IBF. So, for the reasons above, Erik Bazinyan is in a huge fight.
“This is the challenge of a lifetime for Erik. An inspired performance and this fight could very well change his life,” told the head trainer of Bazinyan, Marc Ramsay.
Tickets for the #MunguiaBazinyan card will go on sale on August 7th via Ticketmaster.com. For more information, follow EOTTM on Facebook, X, TikTok and Instagram @eottm_boxing or subscribe to the #EOTTMARMY newsletter by filling out the online form. Journalists can access the virtual press kit containing images of Erik’s last fight by clicking HERE.
